His grace is sufficient for me, for power is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Friday, September 9, 2011

13.1 Challenge: 3 weeks in

Three weeks ago, today, I began a challenge!

As many of you may know, I am what my family likes to call "the skinniest, most out of shape person they know." Unfortunately, this statement is slightly (okay...completely) true!

Exercise?? Does chasing around two kids under the age of two count? That was kind of my motto for my daily exercise! I would prefer to take dance classes to exercise or join a gym and take fun classes there! Unfortunately, this type of exercise is not in my current budget. I knew I needed to start exercising...not to lose weight...just to be healthy! So? I decided to run. Yep. True story.

I have never been a runner. Ever. Never Ever. I was the child who dreaded the mile run twice a year for gym class in grades 1st through 8th. I may have also been the child who cheated and dropped more than one popsicle stick in the bucket during the mile run, so as not to be in last place. Ms. Poje was the nicest mom in the world and never told on me when I dropped one too many sticks or went from holding up 3 fingers to 5 fingers. And maybe in the one gym class I took in high school (because I had to in order to graduate), I befriended my coach and during track running days I would take a lap, and head up to his office and steal his diet cokes and snacks with some friends!

The thought of running regularly made me want to vomit. But running is FREE (on a day to day basis...not free to sign up for races)...and I could no longer handle doing my Pilates DVD anymore...and a new DVD would cost money. So I decided to run. A few of my other Mommy friends began running last year (and were not previous runners) and LOVED it...so why not?

Many of you who know my family well, pretty much know that the motto on my side of the family is "go BIG or go HOME!" Apparently, this was engrained in me as well...one day I decided I was going to start running for exercise, the next day I had paid 55 dollars and was signed up for the Atlanta Half Marathon. Yep, 13.1 miles for the girl who has never run over a mile in her life, and has never ever run a mile without being forced to for a grade. I may have also made my dad and husband sign up to run with me...they are troopers!

So, three weeks ago I began to run! What started as struggling to complete a mile has developed into something I enjoy! Yesterday, I completed almost 3 miles...and kind of enjoyed it! :-) I have always been a goal oriented person, and I feel so accomplished after each run and kind of have surprised myself with how well I am doing and how much I have enjoyed it so far. I am currently running between 11 minute and 11 1/2 minute miles! I know I have a ways to go...but I am feeling motivated and encouraged to reach my goal of completing the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving Day in under 2 hours and 30 minutes!

As I have been running, I have been exploring the music on my iPhone to see what helps me to keep pace the best. I love running to my Christian music, but seem to have a problem with pacing. For the best constant pace, I have found Aerosmith and Journey do the trick! :-)

Stay tuned for more running updates! :-)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed :) I am not a runner, and still hate running - but Eric challenged me to the mental game of a 13.1 and I took it. I have two under my belt and want to start training again as soon as I'm cleared post-baby. Good luck with the Atlanta Half. We were just discussing at dinner tonight how challenging of a race that is. You'll do great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So VERY, VERY proud of you!!!!! Doesn't it feel great. I ran 1.5 on Thurs and I swear my legs weren't moving I was going so slow. Can't wait to be able to get to 3 and run with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, let me think. I got it. The first nine miles of your half marathon can make up for the one's you cheated on during grade school and high school. Yep, that should do it. If you do the crime, you do the time, or in this case, the distance.
    Seriously, I'm proud of your commitment as I know this is, indeed, a challenge for you. You have the tenacity to get er done. I have no doubt you'll be sporting a 2011 Atlanta Half Marathon shirt come November.
    I'll rummage through my music archive to see if I can scrounge up a playlist for you. BTW, chasing after kids is definitely exercise.
    Love,
    Aunt Ms. Weiss/Mrs. Lavallee

    ReplyDelete