His grace is sufficient for me, for power is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Heartbroken...for reals!

It upsets me deeply to write this, as I have always enjoyed myself a wonderful, delightful Starbucks treat!

For those of you who are reading this and do not know me well my husband and I are hard core PRO LIFE people!! Four weeks ago, my Aunt Ronda/my amazing Godmother called me with heartbreaking news. She is a sponsor for her nephew's Confirmation and while on the Confirmation retreat she heard a talk...a talk that changed my life, too! A lovely woman was sharing with these teens about the culture of death and life that my favorite old man JPII preached so often about. Within this talk, she made a point about how many times our money goes to businesses that support things we may not personally support in our lives. For example, she says, "Starbucks supports and funds Planned Parenthood!!" AHHHHHHH!!! I could have cried when Ronda told me this, and by could have, I mean actually shed a tear! Without getting into too many details about Planned Parenthood (you can email me or comment and we can chat about that more), this organization supports not only the distribution of birth control, but also ABORTION! So needless to say...I was not going to just boycott Starbucks without having facts.

I asked Ronda to see if she could get in touch with the lady who spoke at the retreat to get more details on this! I was hoping and praying it was not true. As another avid Starbucks lover, my wonderful Aunt was on top of this!! And yesterday, she called me with the news.... it was not good news! :-(

It turns out Starbucks does fund Planned Parenthood! :-( Breaks my heart!! Ronda said all of this information could be found in their annual reports!! If you don't believe me...take a look for yourself by clicking here. It is a lengthy document, but it does say exactly how the company spends their money. In addition, this year GLAAD in San Diego was unable to receive enough fundraising for their event and Starbucks funded MOST of the entire event. The fact that GLAAD is a huge gay and lesbian organization is one thing...the fact that they are COMPLETELY and OPENLY anti-Christian is my big issue with this one!!

So needless to say...I am saying good-bye to pumpkin spice lattes, cinnamon dolce lattes, scones, caramel apple ciders, and all of my other favorite Starbucks beverages and treats! I am not asking anyone to join me, as this is a personal decision. I could not enjoy my treat knowing where my money could possibly going. I am sure many businesses, if we dig deep enough, support things we all would not approve of, but the fact that I KNOW this as fact about Starbucks leads me to feel like I need to be proactive and not support a company that supports issues I am completely against! So long Starbucks...it was nice when I was ignorant to your funding, but things have changed now!

2 comments:

  1. I am curious why you think GLAAD is anti-Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.lifenews.com/2010/10/12/nat-6765/

    Came across this today and immediately thought of your Starbucks post :)

    ReplyDelete