His grace is sufficient for me, for power is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dear Kelly...

For those of you who know me well know that I do not get tied up into the world of celebrities. These same people who know me well will also tell you that I do have an (unhealthy) obsession with two people who I don't know. Tina Fey and Kelly Ripa. I like to pretend that I am just as funny and witty as these two women, but what I love most is how down to earth and true to themselves these women are. I know this based on what I see on TV...haha! Maybe sometimes I pretend in my head that we are friends...whatever.

Anyway....

I watch Live with Kelly pretty much daily and she announced in December that she was having a Girls Night Out in NYC! I could not wait to apply me (and my 4 friends) for this all inclusive getaway trip with spa treatments, dinners out, Broadway shows, a night out with my BFF Kelly, and an appearance on Live with Kelly (perhaps the closest I could have been to my SNL dream). I had to write a letter and include a picture as to why we deserved the Girls Night Out! Here is my letter:

Kelly!

Between the 5 of us, we have 8 kids…all under the age of 3…with half of them being under the age of 1. Is that reason enough for a NYC getaway?

The 5 of us have not all known each other long, but Mommyhood has brought us all together. Some of us have known each other for years; some of us went to high school together (but didn’t really know each other in high school); some of us recently met within the last 3 years. Our Catholic faith, hubbies, and sweet babies have given us plenty to talk about as we have grown together as friends.

I am a stay at home mom who sells Mary Kay on the side. Lauren is a stay at home mom who has worked hard succeeding with her Tupperware business. Rebecca is a stay at home mom who works the late night shifts at a local grocery store to add to her family income. Michelle and Danielle stay home part time with their girls as they balance a part time job in their careers. We all put everything we have into being the best moms we can be while doing all we can to help our families remain financially stable.

On top of jobs, parenting, husbanding (because they require time and energy, too), and getting things done around the house, we try hard to get together. But let’s be real…with 8 small children running around on a play date there is not much time for girl time. It is always something…keeping the boy toddlers from harming each other as they wrestle on the ground, feeding babies, trying to sooth crying tiny babies, playing protector of the girl toddler who is being picked on by the boys (because gender battles begin at the age 6 months J ), and playing toy referee because none of the children have yet to truly understand what sharing is, and feel that grabbing a toy violently is appropriate social behavior…and the list goes on. Girl time certainly does not happen on play dates.

“Me time.” What is that? Me time has turned into folding laundry, dusting, cleaning, dishes…and maybe we drink a little (or a lot) of wine while doing these tasks. A good day of me time may consist of reading a few pages in a book before falling asleep or catching up on the DVR, but it seems that even these nights are consumed getting other things done.

It would be nice…almost unimaginable…to put on clothes for 5 days in a row without fearing it might be destroyed by projectile spit up, food, snot, etc. It would be nice to put on jewelry without the fear of your toddler strangling you with it as they try to rip it off your head. We love our children dearly, but to sleep in until 8:30 for a few days in a row would be a blessing. Not to mention a few nights out on the town enjoying girl time without worrying about feeding a baby, bed time routine, or waking up at the crack of dawn would make for 5 happy Mommies.

Why no video with my letter? I barely had time to comb my hair and brush my teeth…or use the bathroom by myself today. If you need a video…I will be more than happy to throw a little something together, though! J

For the sanity and the much needed recharge of 5 mommies…choose us!

Alyshia (Rebecca, Lauren, Danielle, and Michelle)

Sadly we were not chosen for this night out. Lame, I know! Her loss! HA! Rebecca, Danielle, Lauren, and Michelle: love you girls, and I promise when I win the lottery we will do Girls Night Out in NYC! :-)

1 comment: