His grace is sufficient for me, for power is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Joshua Kolbe

I know, I know! Josh is one month old…so, before doing that post, I figured I should write about his birth! 

The stats before the story: 
Weight: 6 pound 12 ounces
Height: 20 inches
Head: 14 inches 
Born at 4:59 pm 

On Monday, February 10, I was scheduled for my weekly OB visit. Josh had a two vessel cord (one artery and one vein in the umbilical cord, instead of two arteries, one vein), so each doctor visit starting at 28 weeks I had an ultrasound with a Biophysical Profile. Basically, they checked for four things each week, and Josh got 2 points for each thing if it was good to go. For all of the weeks, leading up to my 39 week appointment this day, Josh had scored an 8/8 on his ultrasound! As I headed into the ultrasound, I was prepared for the usual appointment and was thinking in my head of all of the things I needed to get done that day. Today was the day that Josh scored a 6/8. The ultrasound tech assured me that nothing was wrong with Josh, he just wasn't moving his diaphragm within his allotted 15 minutes. His heart was great, he was moving like crazy…no huge concerns. 

I sat waiting for the doctor. The doctor came in and told me I was heading to the hospital to be induced….AHHHH…the words I did NOT want to hear. I got angry right away and super defensive. I asked why and she said the because he had scored an 8/8 at this point every week and I was one week away from my due date this was the "best thing to do." I asked to go home and get my stuff and my husband…she said no…

Upon arriving at the hospital, after a quick phone call to my friend, Elizabeth, I walked into my L&D room…I was very grumpy. My nurse came in, and I let her know how pissed I was to be induced. After all the paperwork and initial things were taken care of they started my pitocin drip around 11:00. Pitocin contractions are no joke…they hurt 100 gagillion times more than normal contractions…not even joking, here! My nurse kept checking on me adjusting my levels. One time she walked in…I was in tons of pain with contractions, but managed to smile and say hey. She looked at me and said, "oh you can still smile…I need to adjust your levels to be higher, I guess…" So I stopped smiling and just acted pissed and in pain when she walked in after that…It was a good thing I had so many people entertaining me via text messages! 

After nearly four hours on pitocin, I had only progressed 1 cm. I was so grumpy! I decided there was no way I could power through these contractions like this and possibly only progress 1 cm at a time over several hours…so I asked the nurse for the epidural. This also broke my heart. At this point, my plan had been thrown out the window. I never expected to be induced when walking into my appointment that morning. The nurse pushed my fluids and got the anesthesiologist. The anesthesiologist walked into my room, did his thing, and was gone by 4:15. My nurse checked me again, and I was at 7 cm, five minutes later my water broke, and 10 minutes later I was pushing! I pushed through 7-8 contractions, and my sweet boy arrived into the world. 

There are not many things more wonderful than hearing those first cries, watching my husband cut the cord, and holding that sweet baby!  The plan I had didn't matter any more at this point…I was holding my sweet little guy, and that was all that mattered. That's how God arranges it…a woman tears her body apart in labor because in the end she knows she gets to hold the child she has been carrying for 9 months. 
Some pictures from Josh's big day! (I downloaded them in order…but they didn't show up in order…sorry!)
Hi World! 
Daddy and another little man!  
Snuggles with mom
Big Brother
Grammy meets the little guy
Big Sister
sleeping baby
Rebecca and Deacon Mike and Linda came to visit! They brought wine…it was wonderful! 
I had to send this picture to Maria because she only saw Josh swaddled and didn't believe he had arms and legs.
First Family of 5 photo!  
The world is bright. 
The world is cold. 
The first meeting of the siblings! 




1 comment:

  1. Alicia, thank you for your story... and congrats on your newest arrival! Having only ever been induced with my one little guy, this gives me hope that if I don't have to be induced in the future, I CAN handle natural contractions (which was my original birth plan too). Having nothing to compare it to, I have worried that this wouldn't be possible. After 8 hours of laboring on pitocin (and not progressing in that time at ALL), I also gave up and got an epidural... and it was the best decision I made. I began to progress almost immediately. I know that if I am induced again, I will go ahead with the epidural too. Like you said, the goal is getting that baby in our arms. Everything we go through is totally worth it... even if it isn't quite the plan we had. God bless you and your beautiful family!! <3 Lauren

    ReplyDelete