His grace is sufficient for me, for power is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pittsburgh: Pitstops

From April 5-April 14 we got the opportunity to hang out in Pittsburgh with some of Greg's family! It was a blast! There is so much to write about so I am just breaking it down over the next few days!

Greg and I are "no mess around" travelers. Both of us grew up traveling a lot to visit family. I am SO glad that we both have the same travel style...get their as soon as possible with as few stops as possible. We knew this year would be a little crazy since Greg is potty trained. We knew we would be stopping every 30 minutes to take him potty since he has not quite gotten the hang of telling us every time he needs to go.

We left at 4 am to get in some solid driving without stopping while the kids continued to sleep. The kids were up around 730 both going to PA and coming home from PA. We would stop for breakfast and potty and then hit the road...stopping every 30 minutes until lunch time. We took a longer stop for lunch to eat and potty and then would drive 2-3 hours straight while the kids napped! And then back to stopping every 30 minutes. Even with all these pitstops, we made excellent time. We did the 11 hour trip in 11 1/2 hours! Go us!

On our way up to Pittsburgh, there was some traffic when we got into PA. He are some shots of Greg's first time peeing on the side of the road. He hated it, and eventually he sat on the foot rail of the car with his legs propped on my husband's arms to go. He probably would have been able to do it standing up if Greg could have showed him how...but apparently grown men peeing during a traffic jam could result in a ticket of some kind!
He just didn't get it!
Daddy providing some direction.
Not so much happening!

(The pictures of him actually peeing were not blog appropriate!)

We are very blessed to have great travelers. (Disclaimer: I know every child is different, and what works for some families does not work for others.) I wrote a disclaimer because my old neighbor defriended me on facebook for writing that I didn't believe in DVD players in cars.

Any who....

We have wonderful travelers. They read books, color, talk with each other, play with toys, sing songs with Mommy and Daddy! Greg and I were both on the same page with not having DVD players in the car. Some of our happiest memories growing up were in the car with our families. We both have wonderful family time memories of being in the car and creating games and talking and playing with one another. Personally I feel like DVDs in the car may hinder children's abilities to self entertain and be creative. This is probably just because of the way I grew up. I also do understand this is what works for our family. I know plenty of others who have terrible travelers and without DVDs their road trips are just miserable. To each their own...no judging here. I am just blessed that road trips are not a problem for us! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment